Monday, October 02, 2006

"O que está fazendo uma gatinha como voce na praia solzinha?" (otherwise entitled: the most humorous moment of my wknd)

Ok. So, Saturday, I am sitting alone on a beach without any reading material pondering what the hell I am doing alone in the nation of Brazil. Minding my own business, exposing my (comparatively) extremely white body to the beating rays of the (not-quite) equatorial sun.

A Brazilian man in a speedo power-walks determinedly past me--I pay him no mind. On his way back down the beach, however, he speaks. "O que está fazendo uma gatinha como voce na praia solzinha?" (Translation: "What is a kitten like yourself doing alone on the beach?") If I had had an ounce of wit, I would have responded: "Eu soamente estou esperando até um tigre forte como voce me leva para sua casa" (Translation: "I am but waiting for a strong tiger like yourself to take me home to his house") I am, unfortunately, not witty enough to say this with a straight face, and fortunately not--for he may very well have taken me at my word.

Brazilian man proceeds by offering to sunscreen my back; I allow him this indulgence which he enjoys a bit too much. He then sits down a little too close to me and begins to make conversation--I'm from rio, why are you here by yourself, yadda yadda--and then: "Lhe posso dar um bezinho?" (May I kiss you?) An innocent enough question, to which I respond "Não pode, não" or, NO you may not. He takes the hint, and shortly thereafter leaves me alone with lingering kisses on the cheek. Perhaps I should count it a potential missed opportunity to have ended my latest stint of celibacy---but I think it's better written off as the most amusing moment of my weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might I recommend you stick to playing with poisonous snakes instead...?

Anonymous said...

Just the kind of story I needed to make me smile this afternoon! Feel very honored--this is my first blog comment EVER. Oh, and you're by yourself in a foreign land because you're awesome, strong, and heading into a great experience. It's mostly just the transition that sucks. Soon you'll be slathering lotion and "love" onto unsolicitous sunbathers like an ol' pro.