Tuesday, January 16, 2007

power plants and tiny babies

Brian and Lisa picked me up upon my return from the Cape to the fine city of Boston. Immediately, I was licked in greeting by Acer, and whisked away to a site meeting about the possible plans for a low-sulphur diesel power plant for the town of Chelsea. (Brian is a city councilman). It was a delight to be a little cold for the first time since my arrival in the states--trust me to wear tights and a skirt when it is cold and windy outside. If I appeared in any press pictures, I hope Chelsea will not disappoint in having me as an honorary citizen-for-a-day. I was renewed in my commitment to dialogue between environmentalists and the corporate 'other'. The question and answer segment of the meeting was rather, well, strained. I returned to their apartment to visit with Lisa and Holly:

Now, Lisa and Brian's apartment is delightfully unusual. Note the fantastic artwork of the order Coleoptera, and the infinitely useful (and very fun) exercise balls in the foyer. Holly has become well accustomed to the finer pleasures in life: art, dogs, and purple bean bag chairs. She also has a precious smile, which I was not very quick in capturing with a camera. Never mind, we call the expression 'stoic baby'. I was also impressed with her unwavering love for Tupac and affinity for public meetings and mexican food.



Coffee with Lisa and a Friday spent mostly with Teresa finished my visit to Boston on a high of highs. I love Teresa and her company so much that we forgot to take pictures. Maybe I will make her new memory box, however, because she ate part of a grapefruit for the first time in a long while since her grandfather had last cut her one. We also watched 'Benny and Joon', which is one of my new favorite movies. I mean, who can resist Johnny Depp in a tree? Hilarious and touching.

I made it back to VA..just barely. The connection was so tight that I arrived, but my bag did not. I must have done something terrible to a suitcase or an airline worker in a former life to deserve all my bad luck...but I will say, I have come to always expect the worst. I nearly hugged the delivery man who returned my bag to me less than 24 hours later! I also made it back in time to live to the fullest my last opportunity to have drinks with my brother before he returned to E-town on Sunday. Jared and Jordan and I fell asleep watching Richard Pryor. Ahhh, brotherly-sisterly bonding time....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Benny & Joon, for me, always evokes the eminent practicality of ironing your cheese sandwiches instead of heating up the griddle...